Suggestion: Discord Changes

Have a suggestion or Idea? Post it here.

Suggestion: Discord Changes

Postby Lapis » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:26 am

A long time ago I said that I would make this, and it's finally here. After nearly a year my opinions have not changed, but since I am one of the few to share these opinions I will suggest only a few minor alterations.

Verification on Discord allows access to the #global channel where people can send and view chat messages on the server. Only verified users can see this channel to prevent bot accounts from abusing it. Currently to get verified all you have to do is ask one of the chat moderators on Discord and send a message on the server. This is far too easy. The current verification system does very little to hinder bots. Anyone with a Minecraft account can easily join the server once, then spam in #global. Recently some users have been verified without even joining the server.. What's the point of a verification system if you don't even have to have a Minecraft account?

Obviously this is a major problem, but even if the moderators are more careful with whom they verify, it's still too easy. As I mentioned before, all you have to do is send a message from the Minecraft server once. I think a fair change would be to add a level requirement to this as well. Level twenty is easily obtainable within a week of joining the server, so I think it would be the ideal level for becoming verified. Newer players tend to ask Discord users for help. While not all level twenty players know much about the server, they would be much better prepared to answer questions than someone who has just joined. This change would reduce the odds of bot accounts or trolls abusing #global and prevent people without a Minecraft account from talking on the server.

Another problem with the Frostcraft Discord server is all of the people that stop playing on the server. As of September 11th there are 113 people on the Discord server. However, very few of them have been on the server in a long time. After thirty days of inactivity on the Minecraft server your land and levels are reset. If someone is no longer active on the server, they should not be allowed to talk from Discord. There are a lot of reasons why it could be difficult to link the level resets to Discord, so I propose a different solution.

I know it is possible to track when someone was last active on a Discord server. Therefore I think the best solution would be to automatically kick anyone who has been inactive for thirty days from the Discord server and remove their verified status. It doesn't completely fix the problem, but it does remove a lot of the inactive accounts from the Discord server. If it is possible to track when a player was last on the Minecraft server from Discord, by all means do the same for anyone who has been inactive for thirty days on the Minecraft server as well.

There are a few other minor problems, but they are easily remedied. When the chat moderators verify someone they should change their "nickname" on Discord to their in game name. They already do this for most people; a few however, are able to change the name that appears when they talk using #global. While not a big problem, these users could impersonate other people or even the owner without anyone knowing. Another small problem is Discord only showing some of the currently online users. Sometimes when I check the Discord server I only see a few of the currently online players. I have no idea why this happens, and it might not even be a problem with the server. It can be confusing and annoying at times though.

If any of you have any ideas on how my proposed changes could be improved, please suggest them in a reply! I want what is best for the server, so your opinions are very important. Thank you once again for your time.

[/rant]
- LapisLazuli2354
Attachments
Screenshot_7.png
Discord not properly showing everyone (I was online at the time.)
Screenshot_7.png (42.61 KiB) Viewed 100 times

Return to Suggestions and Ideas